Wednesday, October 24, 2012

THRIFTING FOR HALLOWEEN . . . & CHRISTMAS!

Aubrey is going to be Rapunzel for Halloween this year. She already had a purple princess dress so I bought her a long blond adult wig from Target and braided it. She didn't like how scratchy it was so I had to make her a little hair cap out of stockings to protect her from it!
The last thing on her list was shoes. I've looked everywhere for some cheap princess shoes that aren't those plastic ones with heals -but no luck.

So today I took a pair of her plain black shoes that I got from the thrift store a while back (she has 2) and turned them into Rapunzel shoes:
 
I first unpicked the bows and then I modge podged purple fabric to the whole shoe. 
Then I painted the bows gold and painted some crocheted lace I had gold. I trimmed them with the gold lace and added a little pearl embellishment.  Now I have a comfortable warm pair of shoes for her costume.

While at the thrift store yesterday looking for shoes, I scanned the costume section and came across some Disney princess dresses so I bought all the ones I found and will be a Christmas present for Aubrey! For about $25 got her a Belle, Snow White, Little Mermaid, Tinker Bell and a cute vintage looking polka dot dress (Annie??). 

She is loving playing dress up these days and she has her Rapunzel dress already and was given a Cinderella dress for her birthday, so now come Christmas, she'll be set!

No comments: